Sunday, December 23, 2012

Night Sounds Lost


In the darkness, the old crippled fan rattles with every change in direction.  Rain falls in six different rhythms on the tin roof outside my window. 

Down on the road, somewhere – everywhere - dogs threaten strangers in the shadows.  A maelstrom of barks and howls demands I forsake my sleep.

A neighbor’s child cries with loud abandon yet tonight the funeral pigs are strangely quiet.  And no where can I hear you, though I listen desperately to every rustle of the coconut fronds.

Where is your sweet sigh upon the pillow?  Where is your soft, sleepy murmur, seeking of me a glass of cool water?

I cannot sleep, so I cannot dream of these things.  And now, alas, the rooster will be making his rounds soon.

- Just a peasant
Photo of a tree in Pohnpei

6 Comments:

Anonymous hellopoponta said...

It must be a quaintly romantic place to be with an loved one. Though, having never been in such an ardent relationship, I lack the imagination to elaborate further.

#I love it when you write like this.

Ayano xxx.

12:21 PM  
Anonymous just a peasant said...

Thank you Ayano! Occasionally the moment presents itself. And perhaps you were just being modest but it seems to me, that someone like you, is exactly the kind of person that experiences "ardent" relationships. Also, comment boxes will never replace sitting down to lunch with a friend and discussing these things.

3:51 PM  
Anonymous just a peasant said...

Hi Ayano,

I'm sorry. It's none of my business. I became curious. I need to learn to keep to myself. I apologize. But I do appreciate your nice comments. :)

8:09 AM  
Anonymous hellopoponta said...

Just a peasant, I'm not angry or offended at all :). In fact, you're probably right (you should have told me 20years earlier, though).

I'm a bit busy right now, not because of all the festivity, but my son needs to go to the hospital again today. I will write longer later.
I know, comment boxes sometimes fails to communicate fully.

Ayano xxx.

11:46 AM  
Anonymous just a peasant said...

Oh no. I hope your son is doing okay.

12:08 PM  
Anonymous hellopoponta said...

Season's greetings!
I hope you are having a good time over there.

Ayano xxx.

6:32 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home (ホームページ)