Tuesday, April 18, 2006

A Note on Howl's Moving Castle


No spoilers here.

Howl’s Moving Castle was great. This Studio Ghibli movie is based on a book by Diana Wynne Jones and directed by Hayao Miyazaki. As usual, we get to immerse ourselves in a beautiful and interesting world with its own rules.

I watched it after a day in which an 11-hour, $500 experiment was ruined in the lab. I was so involved in the story that, when the movie ended, I realized I had not thought once about the day’s disaster. That’s what I love about his films – an escape of sorts. Personally, I preferred to watch the Japanese language version with English subtitles. I thought the Japanese voice acting was better.

You can see a trailer by clicking on the link above. Yeah, I know Disney distributes it but, in Life and the Arts, there are sometimes bitter pills to swallow. I keep hoping that the presence of such movies in the market place will pressure Disney to produce better films and by that, I mean find better stories and show us things we have never seen before. We’ll see.
Screenshot from early in the movie.