Saturday, September 29, 2007

Burma – Land of Harmony?

In Myanmar the government is angry and so tyranny has reached its extremes. This is the point when any government, that professes to serve the people, begins to slaughter those same people as well. Service by execution maybe? Typical.

One day I’m blogging about beautiful gems the next I’m absorbing the news of people getting slaughtered. It’s a weird schizophrenic existence I seem to lead. But Life is as beautiful as it is ugly; as elevated as it is tragic.

If only I could ignore it. If only I could pretend that it wasn’t real. If only I could just look away. But I can’t. More than once, I’ve had guns pushed in my face by people that have no moral reservations about killing someone. I know assault and the pain of it. I know the adrenaline rush as well as the powerlessness to use it. So I have to look. I have to say something. I have to care – even if I’m powerless to do anything about it.

So there’s this person in Myanmar, dawn_109 at A Glimpse of My Life that has a blog (I listed this in the links column too). You can probably keep up with events through her. At least let Dawn know that you care. Incidentally, anyone that loves Lord of the Rings, Harry Potter, and plays Warcraft III is very cool in my book. Let’s hope she doesn’t disappear like some of the Iraqi bloggers.
- Just a peasant
Photo of temple in Burma (by Debbie Jefkin-Elnekave) from Uncommon Journeys, LLC webpage